Summer Garden Project
This year, Legacy Farms has partnered with Temple Hall Farm in Leesburg, Va. in order to create a community demo/educational garden. Temple Hall Farm is dedicated to educating children and adults about the diverse aspects of animal and crop farming.
The 2015 Legacy Farms Summer Garden Project has three goals:
- Provide a teaching garden for adults with autism as well as those with developmental and social challenges ( such as vets with PTSD, or social anxiety)
- Raise awareness of our cause by demonstrating our participants skills while educating the public about autism and the need for vocational solutions for adults with special needs.
- Improve community resiliency through gardening education programs, workshops and a hands-on demo garden highlighting a variety of themed gardens.
* Shade garden
* Butterfly Garden
* Children’s Garden
* Edible Landscaping
The program will focus primarily on:
- Garden maintenance
- Weekly harvesting
- Package and distribution at a local farmers market
- Event planning and set up
- Organizing the Legacy Farms “Garden Party”
We also plan to visit a few local farms and vineyards. Our goal is to connect each of our participants with a potential future employer by the end of summer.